Can I do the work myself or must I hire a contractor?

Homeowners may do all the work themselves if they so wish. A homeowner is not required to register with the Town as a contractor, however, they must still comply with all applicable codes. Homeowners wanting to complete plumbing, electrical, or mechanical work will still need to be licensed for such work by the appropriate state agency. Homeowners should carefully consider the complexity of a project when considering whether or not to hire a contractor.

Show All Answers

1. How many sets of plans are needed for new home construction?
2. What types of projects require a permit?
3. Do retail food establishments have guidelines under a boil water order?
4. What is the zoning of my property?
5. Is my property in the Town or the ETJ?
6. Why does the Town of Argyle require building permits?
7. What are some of the common permits I should be concerned with?
8. How does one get a permit?
9. Can I do the work myself or must I hire a contractor?
10. What is the requirement for contractors working within the Town?
11. How do inspections work?
12. Who do I need to contact for water connections?